Yield: 74 macaron shells
Egg Whites (1) fresh 100 grams 3 pcs, medium
Cream of tartar 1 gram ¼ tsp
Refined Sugar 265 grams 1 1/3 cups
Water 60 grams ¼ cups
Egg Whites (2) fresh 100 grams 3 pcs, medium
Confectioner’s Sugar 320 grams 2 ¼ cups
Almond, ground 265 grams 2 ¾ cups
1. Sift together ground almonds and confectioner’s sugar. Place in a mixing bowl and add egg whites (2). Add desired powder coloring. Mix well. Set aside.
2. Boil refined sugar and water together to 120 C or 248 F.
3. Whisk egg whites (1) and cream of tartar until medium peaks and then slowly pour the syrup while whisking constantly. Whisk until stiff peaks form and temperature lowers down to 40-45 C or 104-113 F. Fold into ground almond mixture. Mix well.
4. Pipe onto baking sheets lined with silpat. Tap a bit. Let it dry for about an hour.
5. Bake in a convection oven at 130-135 C or 266-275 F for 15-20 minutes. Peel off macaron shells from silpat while still warm. Place on rack to cool down completely.
6. When cool, sandwich with desired filling. Store in an air tight container and place in the chiller. Best served the day after. Thaw out a bit before eating.
Filling (Chocolate Ganache)
Heavy Cream 125 grams
Butter 15 grams
Milk 75 grams
Dark Chocolate Compoung, chopped 500 grams
1. Scald Milk and heavy cream. Pour over chopped chocolate. Stir until smooth. Add butter. Allow to set before using.